The Gospel According To Dusti

The Gospel According To Dusti














Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

weirdo

Do you ever find yourself being...unusual? Maybe unusual isn't quite the right word. I just step outside some of my thoughts sometimes and wonder if other people find the same weird thing.
Tonight I noticed (not for the 1st time) that while I am doing an ordinary task I get excited in the part of my mind I'm not really focused on about something I've had an idea to do. There's always a point at which I recognise this and yet can't remember the thing, I only remember that I know I was looking forward to it...
I remember feeling this way, it's familiar. It usually winds up with me remembering what I was so looking forward to doing and feeling like a total dork for getting all "excited" about such random stuff.
For example, I will be putting away clean laundry (yes, I have a system! 60% of the time it works all the time). As I'm finishing up Irealise that I can now do that thing I was looking forward to, only I don't remember what it is. "No problem" I think, knowing it will pop into my head later, and it does. I am suddenly a little embarrassed to remember I was all "jazzed up" to sharpen my pocket knife, polish silver or try on my favorite leather gloves that have been lying lonely and nearly forgotten in the back of the sock drawer since last winter? Seriously?
Someone please tell me I'm not the only one.
When I discover someone who "gets it", I feel an immediate bond with that person on a level that transcends normal social barriers. It's not like an "Id follow you into battle to die" kind of thing, but it's friendly, unique and genuine.
I met a woman in a jewelry making class (for real jewelwry making, not like with beads, glue and wire). Her name is Jennifer and in the beginning of the class and the teacher was taking us all around the studio and showing us the tools we'd be using. When he got to the Mandrel, as in small steel tapered rod that you can form rings on, I made a comment that I was planning on renaming it the "Barbara Mandrel". Jennifer laughed out loud with me and said "That's exactly what I was thinking!" After that we'd say "Can you pass the Barbara?"
Any of my friends reading this will know that this is one of my favorite bonding experiences.
One more; this is one of my favorites and was introduced to me by my brother in law Jim.
Somehow we got on this topic one day and he askeddo you ever see something, maybe while laying down and think "what could that be? I don't recognise it at all. I could move my head around to get a slightly different perspective to figure it out, but I won't! I'll just be still and keep staring at it until I know what it is". We were delighted to discover we shared this common (or uncommon) experience.
Having a similar sense of humor about the value of such weird things makes for a strong bond with me. But maybe it's not so weird.
Maybe you do it too?

1 comment:

Shes Off Her Rocker said...

LOVE IT DUSTI!!!
I'm a weirdo, she's a weirdo, he's a weirdo, wouldn't you like to be a WEIRDO TOO???!!!!
xoxoxox!!!!
Bran