The Gospel According To Dusti

The Gospel According To Dusti














Pages

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Clutch

Wow, I went out in public to see one of my favorite bands play last night. I am now deaf. It was worth it. I wasn't able to get close enough to get any good shots, but these still capture the energy of the night. Clutch has a HUGE following and Amos' was packed to overflowing. The air was thick with testosterone as their fan base is mostly male. Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of ladies there too, but we were outnumbered.

Being in a big crowd does not make my list of top 100 places I'd like to be. I've always been that way, but I'm working on it. It's not like a phobia, it's more like being around so many bodies just sucks the energy right out of me. I remember going to some very epic heavy metal shows as a teenager and feeling so conflicted; I really wanted to see the band but I dreaded the crowd.
In an effort to get over it I made up a little ritual to gather my energy and get my "shields up" as soon as I walked in.
I walked to the back and found an unoccupied corner to adjust. I played the stare at the floor game for a few minutes. (Behold my view above).
Then I fiddled with my camera trying to find a mode best suited to override the flash. I dislike pictures taken with a flash. I take lots of pictures and all that flashing makes me feel conspicuous and annoying in a crowd. People were going up and down the stairs in droves; none of them knows their feet made it into my blog.

After I got warmed up I made it up close to the stage; I hopped on the wave of energy from the crowd. Everybody was so "up" and sparkly. It occurred to me at that moment that watching a live performance makes for a great opportunity to truly live in the moment. Your attention stays focused on whatever is being presented and you can really "be here now". I was surprised to discover that being in a crowd can be a nearly meditative experience in it's own way.

There were so many people rockin' out, and little to no drunken aggression. The one time somebody had to get carried out we all parted like the Red Sea to make way, no problem. There is a weird collective consciousness of a like minded crowd that reminds me of a flock of birds; they can move as one body, synchronizing when necessary. That is the flip side to stampedes where people get trampled to death at events. As many shows as I've been to, I've seen far more examples of camaraderie than fear and malice.
I love this shot; guys in front of me making Devil horns, the traditional gesture reserved for the most awesome of rock. We were a happy group. I did see some kids skulking around looking like they had a chip on their shoulder which of course reminded me of being that age. And then I realized that I am an adult; I remember what it's like to be young and inexplicably angry, and I just smile knowing they'll get over it someday and laugh at the angry kids too.

No comments: