The Gospel According To Dusti

The Gospel According To Dusti














Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Heaven is right here on Earth.

It's Spring, and this nature worshipper couldn't be happier! I'm just...
...beside myself.


The Wintersweet is just now blooming, and I can hardly believe how delicious it smells. It's an olfactory ritual when it blossoms each spring, putting me in the Spirit of the miraculous and magnificent season with one whiff.
Everything is stretching and yawning awake from the past season, coming out from under the covers of winter.
I celebrated the day by treating myself to a long awaited rail road tracks walk. It is the perfect solution for a nature lover stuck in the city limits. I didn't take my camera and immediately regretted it, but at least I was free to soak it all up in my brain, instead of in a frantic, greedy race to capture it all. I promised myself to take my camera with me in the morning when I return, I can hardly wait!

There's so much to love about "trackin'", for one there is cool stuff littered about, just waiting to be spied & snatched up. Today I found a glass insulator cap, stunning even in it's broken state. I also picked this chunk of coal up, there's always coal on rail tracks from the train bouncing its cargo. Watching a coal train with its load overflowing, listening to the rumbling and singing of steel is an experience to be relished.
A train did pass me & Roxi today, we sat on the rocky embankment watching it pass and she jumped around a bit but seemed comforted by the state of joy I was in.
I am looking forward to plunging into this RR tracks theme...
I learned from some awesome Atlanta antique jewelry dealers that "jet" is a mineral similar to coal. I have seen anthracite carving that is every bit as beautiful as jet. All that mourning jewelry that I so heartily lust after is a fancier coal, essentially. I'll do a little research on anthracite, and hope that my secret source does contain some of this more dense coal with fewer impurities.
I have visions of silver bezels set with my own anthracite carvings.
Damn, I even make coal fancy!

2 comments:

Dana said...

I love trackin to, D! I walked the tracks a couple miles to some friends house this winter in the snow and it got me all pumped up. The tracks make me lose "track" of what era I live in. I can go whole hog fantasizing about living in the past, which is pretty exciting stuff for me. The tracks here go along the side of the French Broad River, and it's such a lovely place to spend time. I'm glad to know you are out there getting your track on too! Keep it real.
D

Shes Off Her Rocker said...

I love trackin' too! Dana I agree about loosing your place in time! And Dusti what a great way to sneak in some country and nature time right outside your doorstep in the city! Trackin' is so exciting! And haaha Dusti i know you can and will make coal fancy!!