The Gospel According To Dusti

The Gospel According To Dusti














Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Three Lions

I've been moved to work with these three lion's head drawer pulls. I've had them for absolutely years and the inspiration finally bubbled to the surface so they could come to fruition.
The first one I did was sold o a friend with good taste the morning I finished it. He bought it for his wife to wear to the White House  for her mother's acceptance of a National Medal Of Technology and Innovation Award. I got to meet her and her family in December, fascinating and wonderful people. So something I made was in the room with the President and a bunch of super smart people!
Then I made one with gorgeous vintage rhinestones hanging from his jaws. "Ice grill", if you will. It was love at first sight for my sister, so I gave it to her for her 40th birthday present. It looks so stunning on her. Something about the lion holding something between its teeth makes me think of "strength". This piece is both strong and fancy like her, thusly it was meant to be.
Today I went further into the realm of layering and draping, I like things drippping with texture and movement. I also altered the .22 and .38 shells, making them a little shorter, until the dimensions started to make that"click" sensation in my brain. Making things is all about playing with different elements until everything is as it should be. I design mostly as I go and loathe compositional sketches and maquettes, once you get that energy started on something just go with it. No need to waste it on too much planning.
Have "Courage":
It is 8" long with a 4.5" drop from the lion's head, ending in chains and more shells that make the most delightful tinkling sound as you move. I am a sucker for super tactile things, and things with an audible quality. This one is beautiful from every angle and a treasure to the touch.
I think wearing art does impart a sense of courage. Keep little pieces of art on your body and see if it doesn't make you feel special.

1 comment:

Connie said...

Beautiful work, Dusti.