The Gospel According To Dusti

The Gospel According To Dusti














Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Seamstress

Mayhaps next year I can make Ellie something like this? I don't care much for contemporary dresses, but what girl wouldn't feel like a total Bad Ass in one of these? By the pricking of my thumbs something wicked this way comes... And you can bet I will wind up pricking my fingers plenty on a project like this.
So for now I will stick to a very simple pattern with Mom there to direct me. I haven't ever sewn but one dress from a pattern and that was a long time ago. All that left brained instruction getting in the way of my right brained instincts, it could get scary! But every creative endeavor brings me intense sensory pleasure...and apparently makes me a poet.

I didn't realise the sleeves were going to be puckered at the shoulder but I think it gives it an extra witchy look like the Wicked Witch of the West. The Wizard of OZ is one of the three scariest movies EVER including Alice in Wonderland & Charlie & The Chocolate Factory; shudder-gasp don't even get me started. Especially not this close to my bed time, eek!
We picked black chintz for this dress because it has a wonderful hand and it will stand beautifully...and because Mary Jo's had it for $2.99 a yard. I considered using it inside out so it wouldn't be shiny, I loathe shiny loud cutesy Halloween costumes. Wait, no I don't-I love shiny gaudy things, I just don't like my scary Halloween things to get too cutesy'd up, gag. My love for shiny things won out in the end and I'm using it correct side out; you can see the sheen of the fabric in the middle picture where I've sewn the sleeve onto the bodice.
I'll hold it up to Miss Ellie this weekend to see how it's fitting; I may need to take it up. I didn't want it to be too little; what would be more depressing than having your aunt sew a beautiful witch dress only to find it's too little for you? It would not be good for a girl's self esteem.
I'll have to do the same for Miss Cassie Q next year; I won't be party to the little sister getting shit out of something. She changes her mind on Halloween costumes though, sometimes up to the last minute and I knew Ellie would stick to her guns on this one.
I don't usually dress up for Halloween, it's weird. For me the season and the day itself are magical and I love everything about it, I just don't get into doing my own costume. I'll usually just wear Devil horns and an even crazier get-up than usual and call it a day.
Halloween is for kids, it's not an excuse to get all hookered up and go out drinking; you can do that any time. I am so tired of all the "sexy witch", "sexy pirate" and "sexy vampire" costumes. I shouldn't begrudge anyone flaunting what they got one night a year, I'll give 'em all a free pass. All my friends do it!
I love the baking and decorating and either going trick-or-treating with the girls or answering the customary question "Trick or Treat!" from little neighborhood goblins that darken my door.
Every year I lament that I can't do both; it's a Catch 22. But hey, either way I have a blast.
Last year I was too MS'd up to even carve my own pumpkin. I can not remember far back enough to the last time I didn't carve a pumpkin. I did hobble to the door in my Halloween PJs to make candy offerings though.
Even though it was such a shitty time I still made it out with one hilarious story. At that time I was still doing Betaseron injections every other day, and of course last year injection day fell on Hallow's Eve. I had the syringe all prepared (you have to mix the medicine up yourself which was kind of cool) when I heard a knock on the door. I got up and passed out candy and shuffled back to the sofa and my syringe had disappeared, poof into thin air! I thought "Oh my God I am that creepy adult who gives children sharp objects at Halloween!" I mean come on, a drug filled syringe! I'm pretty sure that was during the three weeks of Prednisone which makes you completely mad anyway; it was a riot! Mom & I figured maybe I had passed it out to some of the neighborhood illegal aliens and they didn't want to call the cops. Aren't we awful? Months later I found the syringe, in the sofa or under it, somewhere.
And here I am a year later, and a long year it's been. So much has changed, all for the better. I'll be able to go Trick-or-Treating with the kids as long as they want-show no mercy!
And that's enough. It really doesn't take much for me. All is right with the world.


1 comment:

Shes Off Her Rocker said...

The witch costume rocks!! The best ever Ellie will love it and im making her a moon lantern on a stick to go with it!!