The Gospel According To Dusti

The Gospel According To Dusti














Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"Crafting"

It has been too long; isn't it amazing how time keeps zipping by at record speed? I've wanted to sit down a write several times but have been lured away by other projects.
I figured I better post something tonight before I forget how.
Here is the latest!
I wasn't sure if I could cut into porcelain with my Dremel or not, turns out I can. The face is one I cut off a small doll "Hanibal Lecter" style. I finished it with a real bronze paint which can be oxidized to a blue/green patina while it is still wet. I love the touches of color in the recessed areas around the features. I hung the face in front of a segment of silver fretwork, a scrap from my cuff material. I found the coolest chain to hang it from that was a very tacky 80's gold. I treated it with a chemical to oxidize the new right off of it so all the materials are in harmony.

This is the clasp of one of my necklaces, I like the back to be pretty too.

I think I've posted these before, but here is a tiny silver meat cleaver I cut out. I just love tiny things.
And I can not get enough of this anvil, I'll admit I've been wearing it. Isn't it funny how you can get hooked on something and you never want to wear anything else? I have plenty other necklaces which are "prettier" but every day I'm drawn to this one.

Also these cuffs, I'm addicted! I had enough of this particular pattern to make about 4 cuffs and I love them! Maybe it's because I fulfilled my childhood dream to turn my Mom's silver serving pieces into jewelry?

Having an idea about something you want to create and not knowing how, or not having the right tools to do it is simply torture. I wish I could have gone to some kind of fantasy trade/art school growing up. When I'm a rich philanthropist some day I'll start up such a school! Wouldn't that be a great legacy?
But for now I will carry on selfishly creating things in the delicious solitude of my own sanctuary.
Tomorrow I will get some great close ups of some more of my pieces to post on Etsy. I sat down with the manual for my D-50 tonight and taught myself to override the flash in macro mode. When all else fails, I resort to reading directions. I'm actually kind of surprised that I was able to figure it out at all. Not too shabby Dust!
Alas I must get my rest, I feel a cold coming on...the burning of my eyeballs and nostrils, swollen glands, post nasal drip etc...
I won't wait as long to post next time, even if I'm sick.

3 comments:

LuLu Kellogg said...

I am loving all the new designs Dusti! These are all just awesome :)

LuLu♥

Dana said...

That hanibal lecter style doll is spoooky! I hope you feel better, you crafter you.

Dusti said...

Lulu & Dana, thanks so much for your comments, they really warm my heart:)