The Gospel According To Dusti

The Gospel According To Dusti














Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Chandelier Makeover

So I didn't take before pictures...if I had you'd be even more impressed.
This was a early 1960s style chandelier with beveled glass plated all the way around, each with a groovy kind of starburst etched in its center. It was fairly shideous, but I saw the potential even through all its brassy, tacky glory.
I "heavy metaled" it right on up with a row of steel chain (oxidized) and a row of brass ball chain (also oxidized). I changed out the center chain it hangs from to a larger version of the steel kind I used for the swags. I think the chains give it a feminine touch in spite of their rusty masculinity. It still cuts a classic silhouette.
This piece has a great armeture, this ball in the center is one of my favorite features. I think it has a spider-machine kind of look.
I applied layers of chemicals to oxidize the metal, making it look like something that's been hanging in a courtyard or dungeon for ages.
I also sculpted faux wax around the candelabra sleeves for a dripping effect. I painted them with bronze paint and have since applied a blue patina to them since this picture was taken.
I'm taking it to Scott's Antique Show in Atlanta for this weekend to be featured in my booth; I'll be interested to see what that crowd thinks of it. If it doesn't sell there, don't worry-it will go straight to my Etsy store!
Thanks for dropping by!

3 comments:

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

Absolutely great work....even with the spider reference in the description :D

Good luck with the show.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Prit-tee special, Dusty.
And the word 'shideous' is brilliant. May I please use it?

Dusti said...

Laura, just tried to leave this on your blog but had a computer problem:
Laura, I ooh-la-love it! I loved looking in your Etsy shop too. I have got to get on that. Your bracelets with the yearbook pics are TOO cool; surely every hipster will require one!
Yes, of course you are welcome to use "shideous" any time. It's not my own invention, got it from my artist friend Jason. He's very quotable.
I have a cute train case that actually looks cool outside already, I've had it on the list to reupholster the interior. I even have the fabric and everything. I'm wary of sewing the clear vinyl lining. Seems like I tried that once and it would not feed through the presser foot & feed dogs:( I was thinking about that project earlier today as a matter of fact! You have inspired me to commit to the project at long last!
ALL your stuff looks amazing!
Hearts~D