The Gospel According To Dusti

The Gospel According To Dusti














Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Dana Thread

So here I am, awake too late, mind too stimulated to go down. I give up! I was reading another post of Dana Dee's Blog
and it got me thinking all about old cemeteries.
She brings up the idea that celebrating Decoration Day , honoring your dead ancestors is part of a full spiritual life. I concur.
At the very least I find visiting old cemeteries (even crappy new ones) to be the nicest little break in normal life; a visit to another realm if I may be dramatic.
I love looking at the gorgeous scenery, wondering about the changes the landscape has gone through since the oldest tombstone dates, speaking out loud the names, figuring ages at time of death, wondering about each life. When these old places are properly tucked away, it's easy to imagine what their funeral may have looked like. When you're standing right where mourners of decades or centuries ago once stood, just the thought honors those lives.
Here's a little diddy by my man John Lee Hooker about Decoration Day.
I think it's a pretty sweet way to pay homage to human life, your own included.
In the next, oh let's give me 3 years I am taking myself a little vacation up & down the east coast, from Philly back down. I will stop where ever I dam-well please to ponder and photograph. The "anchor" stops will be cemeteries. I plan to do it solo, but who knows, maybe I'll take someone along. It isn't the kind of trip you need a friend there to have a good time.
But, I don't know, I can think of a few people who would be a blast to take along!
Eh, whatever; "it's my funeral"-I mean vacation!

3 comments:

Dana said...

Hey D- I definitely was thinking about you in that cemetery and when I wrote about it on the blog. When you come up here to visit me at my new home let's have a walk down there and marvel. Also, I think it Rocks the Free World about your studio!!! Steppin it up a few notches and having a space just for your creations is so fantastic. I made a work room in my new house just for concocting herbal potions and it feels so good to invest in that space for creating!
I cannot wait to see what unfolds with your new space. Give a big up to Brandi too.
Also, hit me with how to proceed with ordering some earrings.
Lots of love,
D

Dusti said...

Hey Dana, hope you get this. How you will get your earrings is as follows:I was near done cutting them out a few nights ago when I busted my LAST saw blade! I ordered a gross of new ones, they'll be here in 5-10 business days. I may even get to finish them in my studio!!! I think I have your address, I'll send them as soon as they are freshly done!

Dana said...

Sounds fabulous, D! I can't wait to sport those bad boys. Please send a bill with the earrings so that I can proudly support the artist in her hew studio endeavors!
Cheers to you.
D