The Gospel According To Dusti

The Gospel According To Dusti














Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

Last Saturday was another open house at the gallery for Clearwater. We made some big changes and I must say it looks gorgeous. This is just one wall and I'm sorry I didn't take pictures of the others, but I was whooped, also this wall has a bunch of my work on it.
My sister and I collaborated on several pieces with objets d'art from our precious personal collection. This is one of my favorite sweet little goat skulls from Mississippi.
"Goat Door Knocker"
This one is from my best friend's personal collection, it is her wedding gift. The skull was actually her's, I snuck it from her place while I was house sitting! It was months ago and I can only assume she hasn't noticed it was missing...I hope!
Once again, I made the silver chamfron and Brandi sculpted the horn from paper mache.
"Unicorn Skull"
Here is really a favorite of mine from Brandi and I. I think the skull was from Brandi's collection and the rest was my own hoarded items and jewelry bits and pieces.
It gives me a feeling of giddy anticipation looking through the convex glass window to the secret inside...
"Cat Retablo" It's a little kitty-hoogitt-boogitty-box!
This was a clock case I found and only loved for the box; the clock itself was gyppy and unremarkable. I cut the window from a circle to an oval to accommodate the little Italian brass frame with bubble glass. I buy and hoard any form of bubble glass I find because I have an affinity for things behind it. But I don't have it just to have, I eventually use it for something special, like this.
We added a crown which was the wick surround from a tiny oil lamp, which you can hardly see here. Affixed to the skull also were a pair of tiny gold wings and a button with a vintage rhinestone set in its center.
I added some gorgeous ruffled ribbon Bran picked up from M&J Trimming in New York to the inside of the window to add an even more Victorian touch. This piece is so much fun!
I think we did an amazing job in a very short time. Brandi took charge of hanging the show in the gallery, which she excelled at and took to like a fish to water.
Our pieces looked fantastic displayed among Thorin Medford's fire paintings. The show was a wonderful opportunity to breathe fresh air into the Clearwater Gallery.
Now, just wait 'til next time...

No comments: