The Gospel According To Dusti

The Gospel According To Dusti














Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2010

This morning I awoke to cloudy skies and wintry light glowing into my bedroom...

I was so sleepy and cozy I didn't want to get up yet, so I turned the light on and got back in bed. I had been dreaming, I don't remember what, nothing remarkable. Better to just stay in bed a little longer...
.The great thing about having a dog is, she won't let me lay around too long. She's well mannered about it, when she thinks we've layed around long enough she sits up in bed like this. She doesn't pester me, but she looms over me until I give in.

It's been one of those days where you never shake that sleepiness. I guess that's okay for a January Sunday. But sooner or later even I will myself to get up off my lazy butt and get something made.
These are little tombstone ornaments to go on the feather tree I'm making. My sister and I are collaborating on this little Halloween art tree and it will be auctioned off on eBay later.

I'm using dry florist foam, it's so easy to cut into and shape, I just have to keep my shopvac at the ready to suck up all the little "dust" it creates. I cut, then vacuum, cut then vacuum; a friend of mine would pick on me about this saying I am being OCD! But I can't deal with all those gritty green little particles everywhere, it's unsettling!

I made a urethane mold last year of some skulls and now I can pour plaster casts of them to my heart's content! These are the perfect size to adorn the tops of some of my tombstones. I have a few different styles, inspired by Charleston's oldest graveyards.
I also plan to make some Victorian style paper ornaments of some bats, skulls and owls...it's going to be so cute! I love having a project in the works.

No comments: