The Gospel According To Dusti

The Gospel According To Dusti














Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2009


I like Picasso better without the hat. This is a plaster casting of a sculpture of Pablo Picasso's head made by a friend of my uncle Wilbur. My entire life it lived in the basement of our house, and it scared my sister & I (mostly her) when we went into the basement with all the lights off except the fluorescent one over Dad's workbench. With all the rights and privileges due the big sister, Brandi would order me into the basement first to find a sheet and cover up "The Head" before she went in. I would dutifully oblige. For some reason I remember when I was very small thinking it was my Popaw's head; it was big & bald like him.


This is an Art Deco mirror I found years ago that I recently restored the carving and improved it by adding a skull. Almost anything looks better with a skull in my opinion! I really enjoyed re-gluing the laminated wood, filling in and re-carving where necessary and gold leafing. That's the kind of work I can get lost in for hours...be still my beating heart!
There are so many things I am passionate about doing, it's hard to know where to begin. I started this vision board last year to try to refocus myself. I filled it with things I love and pictures of me with some friends and family, all that is most important to me (and a dollar on top because hey, a little dough wouldn't be too bad either).
I think it's time for me to change it; put up some new affirmations, maybe some different pictures. The truth is I don't know what to do with myself. I'm working on solving that problem. The one constant though, the one thing that never ceases to bring me relief, hope, reassurance, joy is writing. When I started this vision board I was hand writing in a journal every day. It's interesting to go back though it and see how much my hand writing changed day to day during that last exacerbation. It's also interesting to go back and see how most of it was positive. Some of it was undoubtedly the prednisone, but somehow MS has a strange effect on me; it brings me into a higher state of consciousness. That is a Grand statement, but it's true. Sure the physical part is Hell, but I think when your body is weakened your spirit gets stronger...
I like keeping this blog, I like rambling on about different thoughts that stomp through my brain. Writing is such a joyful indulgence!

No comments: