The Gospel According To Dusti

The Gospel According To Dusti














Pages

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Tysabri #13!

Yesterday was in fact my 13th Tysabri infusion since my first one was last December. I had an MRI done about a week ago and I'll go to my appointment with Thor the Viking Neurologist in February to see the results of my brain scan. How cool is it that his real first name is Thor!? (He goes by T. Erik Boressen but the T. is for Thor.)
Since my very first MRI I have imagined how funny it would be if it showed a profile of my head with a hamster running in his wheel where my brain would go, maybe some cobwebs. I must figure out how to "photo shop" that. It would make a great T-shirt.
Alas I left my camera this time so this image is from a few months ago, but it's the same thing.
After a year of infusions and quarterly blood draws from the same site my good vein is scarred up. Well, I knew it would come to that. The nurses are really gifted phlebotomists and mine was able to get a good vein along the inside of my forearm.
I always look forward to my infusions because it is the one time a month where I allow myself a completely lazy self indulgent day without feeling guilty. I listened to one of my favorite bands, Clutch, on headphones. Their self titled album is probably my favorite one.
And I read this book a friend loaned to me. I used to think I was a fast reader but I have been really drawing this one out. It's fun & interesting reading and the perfect thing to do while "maxin' and relaxin'" in a heated oncology chair!
After about an hour and a half of reading and rockin' out I went down for the count. I get the best naps in there! Every once in a while I would wake to the sound of myself snoring. Apparently I do a weird closed mouth snore. I'm sure everybody else in there just loves hearing it. Probably about as much as I love hearing the nonstop soap operas on the TV in there. I took a very snuggly Halloween fleece blanket and my sleep mask and slept the deep sleep of a pro-napper. I like to get very relaxed while whatever that stuff is courses through my veins. I think it's important to be in the right frame of mind for medicine to work best.
Then I came home & napped some more! Napping in my own bed with my warm Roxi curled up next to me is even better than in the hospital. She is an excellent sleeping companion and she never steals the covers.
I have almost two months to visualize good results on my MRI disk. No new lesions! I believe that my MS is manageable; I have only had relapses following periods of extreme stress. If I learn to handle bumps in the road with grace I can avoid the debilitating exacerbations. Of course no one can avoid stress. But I am compelled by the idea that the only thing that brings you pain is resistance to change. Isn't that profound? Of course you should resist some changes; I don't aspire to happily accept every shitty thing that happens to me!
But I can roll with the punches.

1 comment:

Shes Off Her Rocker said...

Love your attitude Dust! You sure can roll with it....xoxoxo see you soon
B