The Gospel According To Dusti

The Gospel According To Dusti














Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Law it's hot!

Gibson's in Laurel it's hot here! In Laurel Mississippi there was a store named "Gibson's", their TV commercials were the usual local fare; over the top regional redneckery. Kind of like the commercial for Samson's used cars here in Charlotte where the guy walks around his used car lot and stops by the car with his dog on the hood and hollers "Come on down and see Spot & I, we're dealin'!" He raised his right hand up in the air and kind of made a circle with his index finger when he said "we're dealin'!"
The Gibson's commercial had a guy who hollered "WOO, Gibson's in Laurel!" to impress upon you the importance of their bargains. My parents who are from Laurel often say "Gibson's in Laurel it's HOT!" on days like these.
Today has been a Gibson's in Laurel day on the official heat index; too damn hot. I went to my sister's for a bit but came home early because I was just too "G.I.L." hot. I have found myself busy in front of the fan with the window unit a/c going full blast, sorting through pictures on my computer.
Here is a sneak peek at something I started yesterday. I can't wait to finish her!!!

On my way home I stopped by Mom's house, which was blissfully cool, to take some cuttings from her hydrangeas, another thing that reminds me of Mississippi. My Granny Jefcoats was every bit the green thumb a granny should be, and more. She was forever rooting plants, tending to her flowers and her garden, saving Dairy Queen cups to start seedlings in.

The classic light blue hydrangea blossom always conjures up memories of playing in the yard in summertime. We had one of Granny's hydrangeas at the back corner of our house and I remember playing in it when it towered over me. Just be-boppin' around, finding June Bug empties and attaching them to my shirt; the hydrangea was always a good place to find these, and Daddy Long Legs too.
I love having fresh flowers in my house, especially in my bedroom, especially real ones as in not bought at the store. Stick in a few Kimberly Queen fronds and viola! Or should I say "Hocus Pocus Chevrolet Nocus!" Another Mississippi treasure, my Popaw says that. He is quite the wordsmith, I am hoping my Dad will write a book about him, I'm not good enough a writer yet to tackle the legend that is Red Caldwell.

My other great grandmother,Popaw's mother "B-Mama" was one Hell of a Mississippi figure too. On hot days like these (but worse) she would tell a young Red Caldwell "I can't wait for the first frost. I will plop my fat ass right up here on this tin roof and cool off!"
Come to think of it, that would feel good.
So Hocus Pocus Chevrolet Nocus, WOO, Gibson's in Laurel try to stay cool any way you can. It's a long way off 'til the next frost.

4 comments:

LuLu Kellogg said...

Oh Dusti....it's awful here too. The wee temperature gage in our pool said our water is 90 degrees! That is not even refreshing, period. I LOVE your "Gibson's in Laurel it's hot here" saying!

I can't wait to see your new creation finished. I know it will be wonderful!

Stay as cool as you can sweetpea.

LuLu♥

Dana said...

That was some smokin hot story telling. I love reading your hot weather amblings- it's like sitting on a hot porch at night waiting for it to cool off and telling tales. Keep em coming!

Laura said...

Yes....I totally love you just a little bit.

I LURVES me some crappy ass local commercials. Remind me to tell you about 'hot butter biscuits' sometime.

Do you think you could RECORD that GIL gem? That's just itchin' for a YouTube post if you ask me.

And the hydrangeas are lovely. This is going to make me sound like a weirdo stalker since I only met you and your mom in person once, but:
Whenever I see a green hydrangea, I think of your mom. When I visited, your mom had a house jam packed with crazy great furniture and in her formal dining room (there's a local restaurant that's had a sign up for years that proclaims 'dinning room open' ....yes, diNNing....sheesh) and she had these gorgeous dried GREENISH white hydrangeas. I was poking at them asking if they were fake, and you said, "No, of course not...they're real. Just dried." I was fascinated. So anyway....everytime I see hydrangeas, I think of that day at your mom's house.

Isn't it weird how random moments get associated with an object and stick with you forever?

Shes Off Her Rocker said...

Gibsons in Laurel! I've been saying it too! Dusti, it is hot but today my house is AC cooled once more! You would be very comfortable. So when you are ready, out yo may come again. Te hydrangea cuttings are GORGEOUS I will have to use my merc. glass candleholder for the same display! I love hydrangeas!
Your bedroom is just GAWG!! GAWG Darlin'!!!xoxoxoxo
sister