The Gospel According To Dusti

The Gospel According To Dusti














Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Solstice

Today was the 2010 Summer Solstice, an important celestial event and a time to be fruitful and enjoy the longest day of the whole year.

I spent the day with my sister & her kids, we went black berry pickin' near her house. I love blackberries, they're so summery!

This little jewel was nestled in some leaves...he doesn't know he is perfect 'possum food. Opossums eat these and other insects like M&Ms.

It was hot & humid, could have been worse but it was muggier than early on in the day. I have naturally curly hair which coils up in the humidity somethin' awful. The best is when I can feel beads of sweat fall off the ends of my curls onto my shoulders.

My eyes are green, but not in this picture.

I love the light at the end of the day, everything is sideways. The kids all bebop around Bran with various commentaries and complaints. But they will surely have fond memories of observing the solstice with their Mom & aunt out amongst nature; as it should be.

Cassie & Danny are game for anything! Cassie took off her pants & flip flops and left them by the creek early on and then complained about not having them to Bran! We just laughed about how when we were little we would never have confessed to such a lapse in responsibility for your gear much less complained to a parent about it. My how times have changed! She picked them up on the way back and all was well.

Bran proudly displays the fruits of her labor. "Had she purchased them elsewhere they would have been costly!"
Danny took to the foraging with much appreciated gusto.

The sun sets and the moon rises on this,

the longest day of the year!

1 comment:

Dana said...

Dusti you are a true beauty. I love how you get so jazzed about occurrences in the natural world, such as the moon rising over the longest day of the year, and blackberries and humidity curling up your lovely locks. I love how you get out in it and in such STYLE! It makes me happy to know that you and Bran (and I'm sure her baby daddy too) are raising those kids up right- it looks like a real rich life they have. Yall are lucky to have each other and I think you know it which is even better. I'm about to get teary here so I'll go now...