The Gospel According To Dusti

The Gospel According To Dusti














Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Hangin' with my sister.













Saturday! Time for me to get caught up with me old blog...First I have a picture of my cat Mixie's latest offering. I put in a kitty door months ago so she can come and go as she pleases (and so I could lose the litter box-disgusting). She frequently brings fresh kills into the house and deposits them on the dining room floor. I think it's sweet. One time she brought me one of these in bed at 11 P.M., that's service!






Brandi brought the kids to Charlotte last night to spend the night with our Mom "Mimi". The two of us snuck off to get her some joint compound but we ended up at Value Village, our favorite neighborhood thrift store instead. We found all sorts of cool stuff. I got a glass apothecary jar (my favorite!) with a "P" etched into it, a pair of very cool vintage old lady rhinestone earrings (clip on of course, since ladies back them did most certainly not pierce their ears), a very creepy miniature baby carriage (I nearly have a phobia of these macabre things), and a super gaudy fake gold pendant with a glass crest of some sort in it. I have plans to remove the crest and replace it with a Byzantine Icon, or invent some way to put a bug in there somehow...
The highlight of the evening was a chance meeting of the coolest lady ever...Her name is Paula and she was a hippie-biker type back in her day, now she makes funerary arrangements in her little shop right across from the graveyard only a mile or two from my house! How cool is that? She & Brandi hit it off right away and I thought they would talk in the parking lot of V.V. all night long while Paula's aging mother waited patiently for her in their van. I wish I had gotten a picture of this fine specimen! Under the unflattering glow of the street lights I could still see what a stone cold fox she certainly was in her prime, still an attractive woman, Paula spoke at length about "manifesting" her creations from her mind into form otherwise all those ideas would drive her nuts. She also told us about her work; she is an artist and her means of getting free supplies of joint compound, sheet rock and packing materials is dumpster diving. She learned us about getting stuff from the loading docks and dumpsters of the thrift stores once they're closed, I didn't ever even think the thrift store would throw much away, just assumed it was in itself the "last stop" for junk. I was wrong! She is a Recycle Queen who knows her way around tools and materials and who's philosophy on men was summed up as "I'm finally turnin' out to be the Man I always wanted." Paula is not holding her breath waiting on one to act right, she's too busy. You go girl! Brandi was much impressed by Paula's method of applying hot glue (which she uses for everything including upholstery) and was jealous she hadn't thought of this herself; she has what sounds like a smelting pot of hot glue in a metal pan-"not a tin pan" and she just dips the flowers or whatever needs to be stuck into the goo and sticks it right wherever it's supposed to go. She warned us though, "you gotta keep a glass of water close for when you get burned" beacuse "when that suff gets on you, honey I'm gone tell you...". This woman does not even have time to fool with a glue gun, she just keeps it at the ready in a bubbling cauldron, I like your style Paula!
Brandi has instructed her to email her and send pictures of her many projects but don't worry, if we don't hear from her we are hunting her down at her little pink house/funeral arrangement making shop. I'll keep you posted...
Meanwhile, I can't figure out how to post my pictures where I want them to go in relation to the text. Curses! I will have to get a tutorial from oh I don't know, the closest 4th grader probably knows how to do this!
Now I am off to start my Saturday, walk the dog, hot glue a skeleton to push the creepy baby carriage, see if I can wheel & deal myself a replacement washer from Craig's List.
Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Connie said...

Hi Dusti,

Load all you photos first. Load them so that the one you want at the TOP of the blog is the LAST one you load, and so on down the line. They write your copy between the photos or wherever you like. To write, just put the curser where you want it, as you usually do.

Dusti said...

Thanks! Bran gave me a tutorial this weekend. Apparently you can also just start writing and insert the pics as you go; I thought I'd already tried this but of course she made it look easy.
~D