The Gospel According To Dusti

The Gospel According To Dusti














Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Saturday knockin' around

Saturday knockin' around.
I brought home my first two pumpkins today; I love when stores and corner lots start selling pumpkins, glorious pumpkins! I am so happy to be able to enjoy fall this years, I'm going to savor it...


It was drizzly, drippy and rainy all day Saturday and I enjoyed every minute of it. I took the dog out for a walk while it was still just misty and held the weeds back from this neighborhood marker to post a picture here. Nice huh? It is so gorgeous to me, reminds me of an old cemetery marker. The pictures of the old Cedars a few posts ago are only a few houses away from this sign. I figure they are between 40-50 years old so this marker predates them by about 20 or more years...I would absolutely love to see what this area looked like back then.

I had a Auto Body shop class teacher at CPCC who was a rare native Charlottean and he used to regale mer with tales of the Charlotte of his childhood. He told me about when Monroe Rd. (the main road my neighborhood is just off of) was just a dirt road. And not that long ago! It must have been beautiful. Back then Mr. Walker still had a huge farm with horses and rolling hills just 3 miles away. He might have thought "Damn people building houses right next to my farm!" Or at least that's what I would think! He was our neighbor accross the street on Emory Ln. where I grew up. Mom says that the land our house was built on changed hands this way: "we" bought it from the developer who bought it from Mr. Walker who's family got it from the Queen shit the Indians out of it! WOW! I always loved that story. Well she didn't word it that way, artistic license you know...

1936, let me tell you that is old by Charlotte standards. I bought a piece of furniture from the thrift store that had some old Charlotte post cards in it. When I figure out my scanner I'll post them on here...

It was a great day to start chicken chili in the crock pot. Another Fall pleasure! It was so yummy when I came home from the big 70s theme party.

I laughed with Tiffany about how we know we're getting older because at 1:30 A.M. all we want to do is come home, let the dog out, eat my chicken chili (or Tiffany's leftover sub), shower the smell of bar smoke off and go to sleep!

No comments: