The Gospel According To Dusti

The Gospel According To Dusti














Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas Chorus (and sister worship)

Tuesday night was Ellie's first choir gig. They did a secular Christmas program, it seemed to revolve around a plot based on Frosty The Snowman. I couldn't get close enough to get good still shots. You'll notice Ellie is the tall blond bombshell in red, one of her best friends Zoe is to her right wearing green. They were all so cute! All those angelic little voices singing together sounded so sweet.

Her little sister Cassie sat in back of the audience cheering her on with gusto. Here she is hands raised making the Devil horns; the traditional raised arm signal reserved for the coolest Rock concerts! Once she saw me sneaking pictures of her she really started hamming it up.
On the way out of the school we passed some really good elementary school art on the walls. I wish I had gotten more pictures. Ellie stopped to show me one of her drawings that she was not particularly pleased with. It is like pulling teeth trying to get her to consent to a photo at this age, but Cassie is more than willing (if you can get her to hold still long enough).
Actually this picture pretty much sums them up. Cassie has never held still for one instant since she came into this world. Here she jumps straight in the air mid-photo; a blur next to her much calmer big sister. This is how they appear at any given moment.
Cassie drives Ellie bonkers sometimes, but I always try to explain little sisters to her. "Ellie," I say, "your little sister is the one person in the world who will always be your biggest fan; she thinks you are the coolest, most talented, most beautiful, smartest, toughest, most awesome person ever no matter what."
I think they are so lucky to go to school together. Brandi and I were four grades apart and only went to the same school at the same time when I was in kindergarten through second grade, while we were in dreaded private school together.
Charlotte Country Day was a big campus with many different buildings spread out so classes always walked to lunch, gym, the library, etc. in single file lines led by the teacher. Whenever my class would happen to pass her class I would wave vigorously at her like she was a celebrity! I was so proud to be her little sister. "There's my big sister!" I would announce to my classmates. The word "sister" being synonymous with "hero".
I have been to Rocky River Elementary to have lunch with the girls or go to a book fair and seen Cassie say "Hey there's Ellie!" and waive to her with her usual gusto. As much as they may drive each other nuts at times, the family tradition of sister worship continues.

Sisterhood is a sacred institution that transcends tattle-tailing, clothes-stealing and favorite- possession-breaking. Souls that chose to join in the strongest alliance on Earth come as sisters.
As Brandi said upon my arrival from the hospital "Thank you for getting her for me, she's just the kind I wanted".

2 comments:

Shes Off Her Rocker said...

OHHH!!! BFF Sisters forever the sweetest post ever!! What a treat and joy it is to visit your blog everyday.
xoxoxo
Brandi

Laura Irrgang said...

Oh damn. I'm so sad.
I'm only an 'honorary Pearson sister'.
I just know if I was a REAL one I'd smell like roses and be able to do magical things. I'd like to come up with something magical I'd be able to do, but that's how lame I am from not being a blood sister. Damn it all.

Y'all went to PRIVATE school?????
ONCE again-----fancy.